Saturday, August 29, 2009

Top 5 favourite Squidoo HTML Lenses


Image Courtesy Andrew under a Creative Commons License.

Squidoo is a site where you will need to have multiple skills. You must possess the gift of the gab, the eloquence of the bard, and have a mad streak ala Steve Jobs. Okay, I took this a bit further there. But seriously,I think of the Ipod as a great analogy. Excellent Design coupled with Excellent functionality. That’s what you must strive for in each of your lenses. In this post, I want to concentrate on Excellent Design. I am not sure, whether I can teach you creativity, but I can surely point out where you can find the best building blocks of HTML to make each of your lenses a design superstar.

So here are my Top 5 Favourite Squidoo HTML Lenses

# 1. Basic HTML for Squidoo by Glen. No prizes for guessing this one. This was one of the first HTML lenses I referred to and till date, I keep coming back to this lens to spruce up my basics. Lensmaster Glen is also one of the most helpful lensmasters around. I still remember Glen replying to several of my HTML related queries on SquidU. On one occasion he even wrote a piece of code I was struggling with and asked me to just copy paste it. Yes, he is a wonderful guy.

At the time of this post, this is the #1 lens in Squidoo tips on Squidoo. Of course!

# 2. Advanced HTML for Squidoo by Glen again.
Once you’ve learned the basics, you don’t have to run anywhere. Just hop on to the advanced tutorial from Glen and learn advanced tips and tricks to make your lenses beautiful.

# 3. My Favourite CSS Tricks on Squidoo by thefluffanutta.
One of the highly respected lensmasters on Squidoo, Fluffanutta’s lens is another superb addition to your HTML armoury. This is only one of the facets of this lensmaster. He is also the creator of several fabulous helpful widgets and resources for Squidoo. I shall do a post specifically on these resources by Fluffanutta that I have used in my lensmaking. Yes – there have been plenty. For starters, just visit his site Squidutils and you will get a fair idea of what I am talking about.

As we speak this is the #3 lens in Squidoo tips at the moment.

# 4. HTML Border Backgrounds by Sojourn.
This is a lens by one of my dear friends on Squidoo and a lens which I consider to be the Bible on Borders and backgrounds. This lens is solely responsible for uplifting the look of my lenses to at least 5 notches higher than they were earlier. One of my lenses (The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes) which was spruced up using the ideas on this lens also won a badge. So I am very proud of this lens. Do visit this lens and I am sure you aren’t going to regret it.

# 5. Create Stunning CSS Backgrounds with Images by Dr Richard .

This is another stunning lens that I came across some while back. While I haven’t yet come around to using it on one of my lenses, it is surely on my agenda. The use of images to create backgrounds for your modules gives a really stunning effect as Dr Richard shows us on these lenses.

There you go – My Top 5 Squidoo HTML Lenses. These are by no means the only lenses, but my personal favourites.

Do you Squidoo yet? If not, time to start now!
Twit This! Add to Google Reader or Homepage

2 comments:

  1. That is so sweet of you! I'm so glad my lens has helped you out. I think MAKING that lens, for me, was a turning point on Squidoo. I'd struggled to learn so much so fast and this was the 1st lens where I felt I had done something "different".

    You have such a warm and gifted writing style and I'm so glad you've expanded your work within Squidoo. I think I told you I remember you were one of the 1st lensmasters who talked to me after I'd joined and you were a great inspiration to my continuing with Squidoo. I do love that site!!

    And the others on your list are in my favorites, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica - your html borders lens was also a turning point in my lensmaking..so you have company here!

    ReplyDelete